Saturday, January 27, 2007

38 weeks



Here we are. J is 38 weeks pregnant.

The above pic' is not J. She is much more beautiful than that. We are going to make a body cast tomorrow (hopefully!). There is no time to waste, as the babby has already dropped in her belly, and she could go into labour at virtually any minute.

We are as ready as we can be. The "crash bag" is packed, we have the kit to collect the umbilical cord blood, my camera is ready - with batteries charged, the video camera is ready - with 5 blank tapes and two charged batteries. We have the baby seat in the car. I have two packs of smokes packed. We have a bassinette, crib, change table, breast pump, contact numbers, e-mail addresses, popsicles (for labour), homeopathic remedies (for pain and swelling), perinial wash tea, babby clothes, money in the bank, no names..., and so much more, and less.

I am putting together music for the labour and birth - I hope to have Maria Callas singing O, mi babbino caro when the babby is actually born. And you wonder why I have not been posting here? I have been up to my elbows in aggravated elephants, and having a hard time making lucid posts every day at my real estate blog. What will happen to it all when the squalling babby arrives?

We know not whether it is a boy, or a girl, but we are both hoping for a girl. I will post here as soon as we know (and I have a chance...).

My apologies to any who have been checking for scintillating and/or salacious details of my life. It's been hard to keep up...

8 comments:

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

I'm so excited for you guys.. I bet J is getting antsy.. Good you got everything ready to go for when my new little Niece or Nephew arrives.. You both will make awesome parents.. unlike our own..
I'm betting it's a girl.. and TCP is also looking forward to meeting his new cousin... Congrats to you and I Love you to Pieces..plus a cazillion.....

Tara said...

Wow, it sounds like you've got everything set! I wish you and your wife the best of luck with the baby delivery!

I'm curious, what will you do with the umbilical cord blood?

solipsist said...

Thanks Tara. It's nice to see you (figuratively).

I like your picture!

The cord blood will have the stem cells removed, and the red cells and plasma will be destroyed. Then they freeze the stem cells, and if the child ever becomes desperately ill or such, they may be able to use the stem cells in treatment.

They have already used stem cells (experimentally), with good results, to treat Parkinson's, MS, certain cancers, spinal injuries, etc. Because the cells are undifferentiated, they can become any kind of cell from nerve cell to fingernail cell. I believe that someday, they may well be able to grow new limbs, etc.

It cost about $3,000 to collect them and store them for 18 years (you can make yearly payments), but it's a good insurance policy for the kid. The only other way to get stem cells is through bone marrow extraction, and that hurts, Further, the stem cells will be particular to the kid, so there is zero risk of rejection, and no anti-rejection drugs are needed. There is a strong possibility that they may be compatible with the parents, siblings, grand parents too, and since they can take a few, and grow many from that, there will always be lots left for the future.

I spend more than that on wine and smokes in a year, so it's a worthy investment, in my view.

OK? Did I babble enough?

Ciao

solipsist said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence liddle sista. I'm terrified. J is calm, cool and collected. So unlike her. It's really just a matter of any moment. It makes me all jittery.

I just love her belly though. I'm going to miss that. I've always thought that pregnant women were beautiful, and since J was already so, she's a knock out now (still - after almost 19 years...). I did a body cast of her yesterday, and will be posting the pic's here asap (I'm having some network trouble).

I have a feeling that I won't be blogging so much soon. I've already let this place slide, and the babby's not even here yet. Hmm.

solipsist said...

Tara - I blew it.

I was going to make up a big story about voodoo blood rituals, and Mayan sacrifices, but when I got down here, I just started writing seriously... Ah, well. Another great literary moment slips past like a grey dog in the fog.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

I'm getting quite anxious.. I'm glad you didn't mention blood rituals.. that's kinda yucky.. but anyway you will both be fine and the jitters is very normal.. Loves ya.. kisses for the Babby.. and J and you...xoxox

Tara said...

Haha...Hey, that was interesting though! What an excellent idea!

MLB said...

very cool cast. have an art blog you might enjoy: claycoyote.com/blog/

 

Stats