Friday, December 29, 2006

eye for an eye - the hanging of saddam hussein



I am disgusted today. Today is tomorrow in Iraq, and even as I write this, they are either fitting a hempen cravat around Saddam Hussein's neck, or they have already hung him.

There is no debate that Hussein was a very bad man, like so many brutal dictators supported by countries like the US and Britain. There is little point in rehashing the history of Iraq either. It is a convoluted lie - like so many histories popular.

The point is (for me) that there were irregularities to his trial. The government of Iraq, and it's institutions, have been set in place by the American gov't - just as in Afghanistan. There are other crimes that Hussein was charged with, that he won't be tried for. The inconvenient truths will not be revealed.

The crime that he is being hung for at this moment occurred in the early 1980's after an assassination attempt. The French, and the Americans, carried on a relationship with him until he ruffled feathers by drilling at an angle into Kuwait's oil reserves - with technology, and tacit approval afforded by the Americans. Then came Gulf War I. Then came sanctions and no-fly zones. Then came 9.11, and the perfect smokescreen to invade Iraq on false pretexts. And now the little shrub from Texas is probably sitting with eyes glued to some satellite feed so that he can watch Saddam struggle and kick at the end of a rope. What a pair of pricks they both are.

The British, Americans, Russians, Israelis, etc., assassinate people all the time, and when people stand up against it, they unleash incredible military might - killing women, children, men young and old - by the tens and hundreds of thousands, but it's in the name of democracy, so it's ok.

Finally, I just do not agree with capital punishment. I can understand revenge killing in the heat of battle. I can understand killing to protect oneself, or someone innocent in danger, but capital punishment is done clinically, and in cold blood. To me, that is a crime.

I heard an Iraqi man on the radio today who told of his father being one of those killed by Hussein. He did not want Hussein to be executed. He did not believe that it was right, and further, believed that it will inflame the mayhem in Iraq ten-fold. There are crazy mulef*ckers running things that want Armageddon. They are going to get it - and so are we. Hussein is not afraid to die, but he asked to be executed by a firing squad, instead, they want to hang him like a rat - for the spectacle.

It's a terrible day today (tomorrow in Iraq). Nothing unusual about that.

EDIT -

For those of you fascinated with snuff films, who have been hunting for the video of Saddam being executed, here is a link. It does not show him kicking at the end of his rope, but shows him dropping from sight. I did not really care to see it, or not, but did want to provide the link.

I do have to say that he showed a lot of courage for someone moments away from his end, but did look a little like he was going to cry.

Interesting comment from Scotsman.com - TV plans tasteful coverage of Saddam execution. How the hell does one have tasteful coverage of an execution?

I still maintain that it was wrong to kill him. It was not justice, but vengeance.

6 comments:

Tara said...

I have mixed feelings about his assassination. CNN will play it over and over again, though. I watched a clip of the part where they bring him to the gallows and even at that very moment he's arguing with people. They said he looked disoriented. I'm not sympothizing with him, but I know that I'd feel a little woozy if I were about to be hanged.

solipsist said...

Thanks for posting Tara. I know what you mean. Ijust have a strong gut reaction to killing period. It is just my personal belief that execution is wrong.

If punishment is requierd, lock him up for the rest of his life. with just enough food and water for him to stay alive. Make him break rocks to earn that. When he gets sick - no doctors, or comfort - let nature take it's course.

And yes, CNN and Fox, and all the rest will play it over and over. My TV is unplugged except for videos...

solipsist said...

That would be - required. It's late, and if been drinking wine.

Ignore the other typo's too please...

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

I wondered if Saddam was scared? As he's been led to his death Is he ready to die. I don't condone execution either. I think it would've been better served if he was to live out his remaining days with the general pop..

Tara said...

Hey, give that guy an eyepatch or post a pretty photo soon, Solipsist. That photo's freakin me out everytime I visit your blog! Lol.

Barry Nong said...

I suppose they sat down and said Ok this is what we can find the most evidence for....enough for a guilty verdict and a death penalty and went with that.

 

Stats