Wednesday, December 06, 2006

one of those days



Yesterday was one of those days.

I was going to help J, and we would have been done quite early, but...

First, we were going around and doing our pick-ups, and I shut off the motor to save gas, and so that J wouldn't have to breathe in exhaust fumes. When I tried to re-start the van, all I got was some clicking sounds. The battery had decided that it's useful life was finished. We called BCAA to come and give us a boost, and we were told that they were very busy, and that it would be about an hour.

Judy called a friend, who came and got her, and took her home to get my van so that she could continue to do pick-ups while I waited for BCAA. BCAA finally came over two hours later (they have been swamped all of this month). I got a boost, and went home to wait for BCAA's mobile battery service. That came about another hour and a half later, and I had a new battery installed for 150 bucks. Cost of doing business.

Shortly thereafter, J called me and said that my van wouldn't start. I was pretty sure that it wasn't the battery, because I had a new one just a couple of years ago. J called BCAA again, and they arrived about an hour and a half later, and determined that the starter was shot. They did get her going, and she continued on to drop off all the dogs. She had to leave the van running for every drop-off, as she wouldn't be able to get it going again.

She got my van to the mechanic, and it will cost about $250 for a new starter, plus another couple of hundred for labour. Meanwhile, my master brake cylinder has been failing for the last six months or so, so I asked the mechanic to replace that while the van was there. He looked at me and asked if we had won the lottery. The master cylinder will be another $300 or so - plus labour. By the time the day was over, we had incurred well over $1000 in vehicle repairs.

One step forward, and four giant leaps backwards...

I'm awfully glad that we don't do Christ! mas, though I'm sure that we just made the mechanic's Christ! mas a lot rosier.

My head hurts.

4 comments:

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

My head hurts reading this.. isn't there something about Murphy's Law.."what can go wrong will go wrong".. I dunno know.. something like that.. well my head still hurts.. I can relate to your story of car repairs.. It seems any time we plan for something, the car needs to be fixed or if not the car then something with the house..Sorry to hear about your dilemma....

Tara said...

Cars and trucks are evil. But sadly, we need them to get around. They control us. So sorry to hear about that nasty day! The next day will be better.

solipsist said...

Thanks for posting you two.

Today was a much better day thank-you-very-mush.

In fact, it was a great day.

Navel gazing and a great group of dogs, and every light was green for me. (not really, but it seemed like it).

I fell asleep last night with a huge smile on my face. I had my hand on J's belly, and was asking the babby questions (mentally). He/she was kicking and squirming, and I felt sure that I had a mental connection to it.

I asked it if it was a boy, and it was still. I asked it if it was a girl, and it gave me a couple of strong kicks. So I asked it if that was a yes, and got another good kick and some squirming.

So I aked the boy thing again, and nothing. It was quiet for a while - as if to say quit asking me! I already told you. Then it started rolling around again.

Wishful thinking maybe, but this is a strange time right now, with many babies being born. I have read that a lot of those babies are psychic, and they are here for a specific reason.

So it all comes down to what we want to believe.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

I bet it's a girl...

 

Stats